Saturday 25 January 2014

Wet wet bleeping wet

Lovely morning: sunny, dry and no wind so what reason could I find not to go out for a ride.....er none. So, off for a 24 mile ride to Church Eaton and back along the very muddy and flooded Staffordshire lanes.

For a change and to see if losing two stone actually has a positive benefit, I went up Hyde Lea Bank.... I normally try to avoid the climb as it comes too soon after starting out for me to be warm....that and the fact that its a 110 foot climb at 5%. Never been a climber, never will be! However, despite doing it using a 39/28 set up, I managed my fastest ever time....although I think I am still in the bottom 10 in Strava (who cares what much younger and fitter people can do: it was my best effort and that's what matters to me.....so I keep telling myself!)

There were at least four places on the ride where storm water covered the lane completely including one which was so deep that it went over my bottom bracket! Thankfully, most car drivers were taking care today so I didn't get covered in spray again.

A nice ride and a "blimey" to the bloke in the Stafford RC top who was at the top of Hyde Lea Bank with a trailer and child in tow.... I struggle to get myself up there without dragging up another person!

Then...as soon as I got home, the skies opened and we had an almighty hailstorm! Don't you just love it when you miss rain


No comments: