Tuesday 16 June 2009

Wildlife.

Seventeen rabbits (add own rude joke here), three squirrels, four dogs and three other fit looking cyclist (including one in Lyrca who had 10 years at least on me) seen on my early morning ride today. I like going out early as it’s lovely and quiet. As you might have guessed, I am a bit of a miserable b*stard at times and like to be on my own.

Anyway, after my “epic” trip to the “mountains” on Saturday, I decided to stay local and head along the Greenway from Stafford to Gnosall and back. It’s a nice, mostly flat route along a disused railway line which recently has been extended from Haughton to Gnosall at the cost of about £150 000…..for three miles of track! Blimey, I am in the wrong trade. I am quite hoping that “they” will extend the path to Newport as this would make a nice 20+ mile round trip.

This is the route:

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/cycling/route_187043.html

What pleased me most about the ride today was that it “only” took 1 hour 54 mins. Yes, I know that works out as “only” 8,4mph but I used to struggle to maintain such speeds over a distance like this. I feel a lot fitter than I did a month ago. Perhaps this weekend I might try a 25 mile ride to see if I am up to it?

Talking about 25 miles…. I am off to see the Tour Series race tonight in Stoke on Trent. The riders there average more than that over an hour I would guess but then they are half my age, half my weight and ride a bike which costs half my annual salary! Should be good. If I can work out how to, I might post a few pictures tomorrow.

No comments: