Sunday 9 August 2009

The football season starts

Don’t you just love the start of the football season…. Well, I do. Its normally warm, still light when the games finish and gets me out of the house for the afternoon while the wife cleans: she loves cleaning the house…. No, I really mean she loves cleaning. I suppose it must be something in her genes but I have never understood why when I look around there is nothing to put in the dishwasher, within three minutes she has filled it and its running again. Sigh. Poor thing must be knackered all the use it gets.

Sorry, digressed somewhat! Anyway, yesterday afternoon was the start of the football season, so what to do: where to go? In the end, I decided to head to Bilbrook FC to see them play against Wellington Amateurs: They were first and second last season so the match should be a good one I thought….well it was a tight match settled by one goal for the home side just before half time. However, the second half was one way traffic with the visitors throwing everything; including the kitchen sink, at the home sides keeper who was inspired. Oh, it did make me smile that the gates person thought it was impressive that I had cycled down from Stafford to see the game…well its not that far really.

The ride to the ground? Well, for some reason I felt crap going and really struggled with what should have been a straightforward run. I stopped quite a few times and never felt “right.” The route was somewhat boring as I bottled out of going anywhere interesting apart from the last bit when I took a Green Lane…. Which was more mud than a lane. Not really suitable for a road bike. I think it took me 90 minutes to do 14 miles which isn’t really that good!
Anyway, the trip back (after refilling at the ground with can of diet coke and a cheese roll) was much better and took about 70 minutes…well, the wife was cooking tea (between cleaning duties) and said it would be on the table for 6pm…. I arrived at 6.02pm sweating like a sweaty thing, only to discover she hadn’t even started it!

So, the route: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=14874

Total distance yesterday: 26.84 Total this month: 85.22 To do 164.78

Average speed….after a miserably slow trip down there, it was a disappointing 10mph.

No comments: