Thursday 27 August 2009

Moggies

We have three cats which, strangely, seem to eat more food than could happily feed an army of normal moggies so it was no surprise when, just before bedtime last night (why does the wife leave it so late), I was informed that we needed some stuff for them. Sigh. Nevermind eh, a good excuse to go out for an early morning ride.

So, after waking at 6am and a quick breakfast, it was on with the lyrca (must by some more as the padding on those shorts is getting a bit thin) and off towards town. Now, the plan was to see how quick I could do 10 miles as I have this stupid idea of doing a Time Trail in October around Blemiem Palace. I checked; the slowest time last year for the 12 miles was some 1 hour 3 min…. hum…achievable perhaps although it would be nice if I could do it on my new bike…when ever that arrives.

What can I say? Well, I picked a reasonably flat route (347 feet of climbing) along the disused railway line towards the Army base, and then along the cycle path around the east of Stafford. I was pleased when I overtook someone on a hybrid (aged about 20) and quickly caught another bloke on a crappy MTB who had the good sense to turn off before I could add him to my now growing list of victims.

So, how did I do? 10 miles in 48 minutes at an average of 12.3mph. Well, pleased to have broken the 12 mph barrier and impressed that my speed would get me around the TT course in under an hour. I don’t want to check the TT times normally done by the boys and girls of Stafford Road Club….d’oh, just done it. Their times range from 24.51 to 33.47. So, I am only about 2/3rds as quick as the slowest person. One day perhaps…one day.

Anyway, off to Tescos to get the cat food on the way back……grrrrrrrr. It seems that Tescos has an electric field around it which completely buggered my bike computer losing all the data I had gathered during the ride. Grrrr.

Anyway, this is the route

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=17557

So, another 13.12 miles making a total of 190.60 miles this month. Another 59.4 miles to do over the next 4 days…. I can do that…can’t I?????

No comments: