Saturday 11 July 2009

Tail wind and fit young men

So, what does a strong tail wind, a warm evening and fit young men in lyrca make..... yep, my evening ride on Wednesday and blimey, what a ride!

As you might know, I don't normally go out for a ride of an evening being more of a morning person but, as the need to reach my target for the month stands before me like a, er stand before be looking high thingy.... not good at this writing lark: sorry, and the fact that I was home alone for the evening with nothing on telly meant that I was tempted to go out for a quick ride.
And blimey, what a quick ride it was! (when I say quick, I mean quick by my standard and not by anyone else's standards...sigh).

Anyway, off I went with the view of getting to Penkridge as quickly as I could.... partly brought on by the tail wind blowing off the mountains.... okay, no mountains but it was coming from the north which was just what I needed and the fact that Stafford Road Club were doing a time trail along the route I was taking....hence the fit young men in lyrca.

Well, 25 minutes to cover the 5 miles to Penkridge is certainly the fastest I have ever done the ride.... that works out as 12mph... but its a little disappointing but not unexpected, then the aforementioned fit young men in lyrca flew past me hardly trying... oh, I thought I was going to catch one of them up when I realised he wasn't actually in the race but was a bloke in his 60s... oh and then he stopped mucking around and disappeared into the distance. Sigh.

Feeling good I expended the ride to Four Ashes which I made in around 45 minutes for the 9 miles. Not bad at all for me.

Coming back was a little harder as it was now into a headwind and, well I was a little tired. I still managed to make the hills over the railway line with no read problem.

A good ride: 18 miles in 1 hour 50 minutes.

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/running/route_200620.html

No comments: