Sunday 22 November 2009

Local myth...

Tales are told around here of a strange object once seen in the sky above Stafford.... the old folks say that its yellow and gives out heat and light... other mad people say that it rises in the east and sets in the west and that there is something called nice weather. Of course I do not believe a word of it as the sky has been grey and raining with heavy wind for the last few days.

These tales of something called the Sun are of course totally crap. There is no such thing, just rain and miserable cyclists (well okay, this one is miserable. The rest I saw out there seemed to be enjoying themselves!)

So, as you can tell from my rather crap opening to this post, its been raining most of the weekend which, as I hate cycling in the rain, cut back the amount of road work I did.

Rewinding to yesterday then....well it was like cycling through a cloud most of the 21 miles I did to Stone Hockey Club and back.... wet but not not really raining. And don't talk to me about wind but blimey, at times it was like cycling through glue!!!

The route: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26504

So: 21.08 miles done.

Height climbed: 541 feet

Average speed: A terrible 11.4mph.... I blame the wind!

Today (sunday)...well it was a real struggle to go out as once again it was glowing a gale but dry.... I decided to MTFU (either that, or go down to the skip for her in doors....I would rather not) and go out for a ride. So, off I went knowing that I only had a couple of hours before the weather guessers said it was going to rain. Hummmmm....lets try Hyde Lea bank.... not a good idea as I am never that "warm" when I hit it but thankfully I managed to get to the top without stopping (its about 140 foot climb at around 5%....not over impressive in the scale of things but still a bit of an effort when you weight over 18 stone!). The rest of the ride to Penkridge was okay, if a bit windy on... Windy Ridge! Surprising that eh!.

Well once in Penkridge the sky darkened even more and the rain started..... hang on, its not supposed to start raining until 12noon...the BBC said so. So I have two choices... I can either man up and carry on to Cannock Hockey Club (strange how hockey clubs are my destinations!) or turn back....yep I turned back.

Not a nice ride back in the rain but at least the wind was in my favour and not in my face as it was when I was heading south. Overall, I did not enjoy the ride and at 13 miles, it was really rather short.

The route: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=26588

Distance: 13.41. Total for the month. 89.41

Average speed: 11.8mph (poo but then, I can only manage Hyde Lea bank at 6mph and the wind, the wind!!!)

Height climbed: 418. Total for the month 2470.

Looks like I will completely miss this months targets.

No comments: