Friday 20 November 2009

Something different.....

Well, its still blowing a gale out there (Lucky Gail) so really didn't fancy riding on the road....too many trees dropping stuff to run over or to be hit by, so should I go on the rollers again, or try something different...

Yep, as you can tell from the title of this post, I did something different and went on my treadmill.

Yes, you remember the treadmill.... I was really impressed when I got it when I managed to do a mile in just over 12 minutes.... until I realised that the machine reads in Km not miles, so 1Km in 12 mins works out at around 3mph.... not impressive. Sigh. So....could I improve on that today???

Well off came the shirt and out came the shorts and off I padded like...well like a fat bloke on a treadmill really. I didn't really have much idea what I was planning to do but noted that the first km came up in just over 13 mins and the next in around 26.... the machine takes ages to scan over between measurements so I can never be that sure. After 30 minutes I felt I had done enough and stopped for the afternoon after just over 2.2km (I say just over as the machine had been reading that for two scans. Its likely it was closer to 2.3km but I can't prove that. Working it out, 2.2km in 30 mins works out as being 2.64mph which really isn't that impressive. I suppose I can say that the machine is set on a slope so I am walking up hill...perhaps I should work out how much of a slope so I can work out how much "climbing" I have done??)

So, how do I feel? Well, I was nice and warm and to be honest, a bit smelly. Do I think I will get to like the treadmill....don't really think so. The view is crap.

Later....the same day......

Come the end of the day I have two choices.... I can watch Eggheads or can do some more walking. Strangely, I decided walking would be better for me fitness wise.

So, off I went for another 30 min slog up "hill" and 29.40 seconds later, Sharon arrvied home just in time to see me pant to a stop! No wonder why I was sweating buckets but I managed to do 2.5 km in the 30 mins set aside...around 10% more than at lunchtime. And.... I broke the 3mph barrier!!!!

So today then: 4.7km in an hour. Overall average speed of 2.82mph!

No comments: