Thursday 17 December 2009

Please forgive me....

But I haven't posted for a week.....(I am talking to myself I know but hey ho, it doesn't cost anything to be polite does it).

Sorry about not posting but, er, I haven't really got an excuse....its not like I have been Xmas shopping (did the little I have to do on line) or that I have been too busy (not been).... I guess its down to laziness. That, I suppose, is me all over.

Well after my epic trip to London at the end of last week, I headed out for a ride last Saturday...not that I really wanted to. It was cold, I was tired and her in doors was moaning. Anyway, this is the route....

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28100

As you can see, this ride included the "epic" Hyde Lea Bank. Well, I must be improving as I did it in one go and overall, managed an average speed of 12.8mph. That's an improvement when you consider the slow rate at which I climb!

The following day (Sunday) also included a lunchtime ride.... it was cold and I didn't really want to go out but forced myself to. I gave myself two hours to do as many miles as I could...

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=28148

As you can see, the route is flat-ish with no real major climbs (although the last one back into Stafford still is a killer!!!!) so why did I come back with a huge smile on my face....could it be the average speed....13.4mph???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, the fastest I have done a 20mile plus ride.

Monday and Tuesday came and sadly I couldn't face the bike (well I actually had to work on Tuesday) and by Wednesday the weather had taken a turn for the worse so it was really cold. I could not face hitting the road with temps of around 2c. Roller time then!

The first ride at lunchtime achieved a reasonable 6.19 miles at 13.1 mph. I decided to try to pace myself by going reasonably slowly at first and then build up to around 15mph. That seemed to work as I didnt zonk out after a few minutes. In the evening, I went for another ride managing 8.18miles at an average of 13.0mph over 42 mins. So, my total for the day was a reasonable 14.37 miles.

Well, again today its freezing today so I hit the rollers first thing....hummmmm.... not impressed by the lack of power in my legs. So much so that after 27 mins I had only managed 4 miles at an average of 10.8mph!!!! Terrible. After a short rest, I set off for the doctors to collect a, er, wee pot and for the 1.5 miles averaged only 8.7mph!!!! I think the cold effects me badly!

So after that start, what could I do at lunchtime....well MTFU of course....er, not really. I did another five miles over the 30 mins making 9 roller miles for the day. Sigh

Totals then

Road: Done in total 123.30. Height climbed: 1600 feet.

Rollers: Done in total: 61.13 miles

No comments: