Saturday 5 December 2009

Yartley Bank revisited.....

for some reason, it wont let me post a link....which is disappointing

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=27616

So I wrote it in....was it worth it? Well I thought so as, as rides go, it wasnt a bad one apart from the wetness of the roads; cow poo and the need to get home before the rain started...yes, it was dry when I sent out!!!!

So what was today's riding plan then...well, it was to climb the hill up to Midwich, a hill which I have never managed as I need to stop about 50m from the top as the hill ramps up to about 15%...at least. Did I make it.... no, as I didn't actually try....why not I can hear you say (hearing voices again.... they will lock me up if "they" find out!), because the "main" road towards Midwich was closed meaning that all the traffic took the back road I was planning to use. Don't fancy struggling up a hill at 10mph with cars of all shapes and sizes buzzing me. Nevermind eh, I will try again in a couple of weeks.

Instead, I did a silly tour down to Weston (no, didn't try to climb Weston Bank.... now that's a hill!) and then over to Stone Hockey Club and up Yartley Bank....

I can hear you shaking with fear at the mention of Yartley Bank.... (nurse, he is hearing things again!!!) well, actually its not that hard anymore. I didn't even use Granny, although I did go into the lowest front ring. Can't say I was breathless at the top of the hill, which is nice.

So, does that mean I am getting fitter???? I suppose it must but then again, the average speed of 11.7mph isnt that good.... thinking about it, there were a couple of spots where I was just freewheeling along at walking pace.... mostly past people walking dogs. I would run the little buggers over but it would take ages to clear the blood off the frame!

Moving on, I am trying to talk the current wife into letting me buy a new bike...why on earth do I need one...well, I wanted a Boardman Hybrid but at £500, they are out of my price range. Instead, I have found a Kona Dew Plus for about half that. What can it do that my Specialized can't???..... well it has disc brakes so should be better in the wet and can be used off road to a degree. Its descriped as a fast hybrid...and light....so sounds idea.

Talking about buying stuff, I have brought myself some overshoes to keep my feet warm (they almost froze the other day!) and some new winter gloves (ditto my hands!). Just to upset the neighbours (oh, the twat at number 4 almost backed into me yesterday lunchtime not looking when he pulled off his drive....that sounds a bit rude!). I have also brought a balaclava (sp?).... I'll look like a mugger with it on!

So, lets do the stats from today then: 24.71 miles. Todate: 60.70

Height Climbed: 704 feet. Total: 1561

Average speed... unimpressive 11.7mph.

No comments: