Thursday 3 December 2009

Rain, rollers, rollers, rain....

Sigh. Yet another day when the forecast is for rain, rain and a little more rain. Sigh. I might have my DNA changed so I become a duck and then will love the rain.... hum, a duck on a bike... I have heard of a bird on a bike but never a duck (although, agreed a duck is a bird so I am going no where with this am I?)

So what do I do...do I watch the BBC Breakfast article on cycling again, or do I ignore it as, to be honest, its nothing I haven't heard 100 times before. It seems that all cyclists jump red lights; go the wrong way down one way streets and never have any lights on their bikes..... er, I never do the first two and I have some 1 watt lights on my bike so I should be "see-able" from a 100 yards away! Nothing about twats in cars left hooking cyclists and being in such a hurry that they can't wait 2 seconds to get past a cyclist. There is little worse than some twat cutting you up, only to have to stop 50 yards away at a stop line or traffic lights. Get a life....actually, this turned into a rant didn't it!

Anyway, back to the rain. Well, the need for exercise grabbed me this morning so off I went on my rollers...when I say off I do mean off as I didn't balance the back wheel properly and rolled backwards off the rollers whilst clipped in.... well I laughed after I managed to unclip and remove the seat from my soft bits....ouch.

I didn't really have any target in mind for the "ride" but did find it hard to get warmed up so the first two miles were a struggle but I managed 5 miles in the standard 30 mins (actually, just checked, it was 33mins). The average was a bit slow at 12.7mph but then, as I said I didnt really push myself.

Later the same day.....well the rain has gone but the wind has increased so instead of hitting the road, I went back into the gym and hit the rollers again.

I managed a bit better this time making a total distance of 5.81 miles in 30 mins with an average speed of 14.1mph. I topped out at 20.2mph......

And again later the same day...well after an afternoon at looking on line at cheap hybrids, I did another half an hour on the bike while the current wife was cooking a lethal curry for tea. Didn't feel quite a good at 5pm as I did at lunch time so only managed 5.5miles at an average of 13.5mph.

Today then: 5.00 + 5.81 + 5.50 = 16.31 miles..... Total for the month...16.31.

No comments: