Thursday 17 September 2009

Fit young men in lyrca.

No, not a dream but the Tour of Britain. Yes, the TofB came close to Stafford yesterday so off out I went to watch the riders fly by and when I say fly by... blimey!

First off to Stone to watch the sprint point...strange place to have the spint on the road into town: I thoughtit would have been better if they had held it in the market street like they did last year during the Circuit De Stone.

My plan after that was to head to Gun Hill but looking at the map I didnt think I would make it in time, so instead I parked on the hill just outside Leek. Now I know this hill having driven up it a few times so thought it would be vantage point: oh, and its a Cat 3 hill. Well, the riders came flying up the hill about as fast as I can drive it making the hill look like the Somerset Flat Lands!

A quick drive into Stoke (following the British Cycle Team support car the whole way) for the finish: blimey I didnt realise how much a drop down from Cellarheads into Stoke it is! I would not like to climb that on a bike. The finish itself was quickly over with the tour leader outsprinting everyone to the line: blimey, its an impressive uphill finish which I would struggle to do not racing.

Overall, an enjoyable day out, although Stoke on Trent is a bit of a pit.

No comments: