Monday 7 September 2009

New cycle route

I was reading in the minutes of the Cycle Working Group…a council group whose job is to encourage cycling…yes, you would never have guessed it… that “they” are building a cycle route from Stafford to Stone along three country roads instead of along the canal as was first planned…so guess what, I decided to see what the roads were like; especially as it would allow me to try Yartley Bank…gulp.

Well, up I got at 5.45am thinking the sun would be up by then…but no, it was having a lay in. Oh, and thanks Mr Weatherman…it rained when you said it wouldn’t so I got wet! Finally, around half six it was light enough to go out, even with lights on my bike, so off I went along the disused railway line to RAF Stafford (or is it MOD Stafford now???). From there, the new route goes along Marston Road, turns right and then left. Overall, a nice ride with only two lorries and one car to take into account. The new route ends about a mile from Stone and according to the council minutes, the town will be accessed by a duel pavement/cycle path.

After a quick drink it was back up Yartley Bank…..I used to be worried about that hill but I did it without stopping. I make is a 95 foot climb at 2.9%. not over impressive but certainly more than I could do a couple of weeks ago.

When I finally got back into Stafford, I realised why I tend to cycle on country roads…the traffic with people going to work/ dropping brats off to school was terrible, as was the standard of driving. Sigh. I don’t ask for much but it would be nice if my grandchildren (!) could meet me one day.

Anyway, this is the route: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=19039

Total distance 17.98 Total 68.43. 211.57 to go

Height climbed 522 feet Total 2245

Average speed (approx as I went to Tescos where the cycle computer goes mad) 11mph.

No comments: