Tuesday 29 September 2009

Silly moo....

No, not an Alf Garrent reference but the cows who stood and watched me cycle towards them earlier...have they never seen a fat bloke on a bike before???

Well, as I had only a few miles to go to make 300 this month, I decided to cycle to the Post Office... no, not the one a mile or so away, but the one in the next village...the long way. So, off as soon as it became light enough (7.30am!!!! I remember when I was young.......) and off down the Newport Road towards the disused railway line. Blimey... and I will say it again...blimey was I on fire or what as I did 25.9 on the flat! I made it to the track in only 7 minutes!

Well, this was the first and perhaps the last time I will use that track on Jordan as its bumpy as hell and really not suited for her. When you get over the rough start to the track, the surface turns to ash which grips like a grippy thing.

After a few miles I finally made my mind up to go follow the path to Gnosall and then, perhaps climb the main hill the other side of town before heading to the Post Office. Well that was the plan but the above mentioned cows had other ideas as they took ages to cross the track from their milking pallor to the field. Sigh. I got fed up of waiting so turned around and thought I would go by road instead.

You know the best laid plans etc...well it would have helped if I had had a map on me as I got lost and ended up in Ranton instead of Gnosall.... basically the wrong direction. So, double back on myself time and as the Post Office wasn't due to open for half an hour, I thought I would see if the cows had gone... they hadn't.

Anyway, after dropping my package off at the Post Office I headed back via the road out of Derrington....its becoming easier and back over Mount King Cod which didn't even need changing down for.

The route: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=21650

Distance: 20.08. Total 305.75

Height Climbed: 457. Total 8898

Average speed: 11.8mph

No comments: