Saturday 5 September 2009

Newport and back

Not really had much chance to go out on the bike this week, what with work, wind and a general feeling of tiredness but hey ho, its Saturday, the sun was shining and the wind had dropped.

The plan…to cycle to Newport Shropshire and back doing as much climbing as I could. I know, I know, I am not that good on hills but unless I practice I will never improve.

So, off I go up Mont King Cod (which strangely didn’t seem that bad) and then over the back road to Bradley. Now, it’s the sort of road which can’t be called flat and indeed, within about 5 miles I must have climbed over 300 foot. Past Church Aston my knowledge of the road ended, but I had remembered to bring maps which were useful: the road continued to be “lumpy” but nothing I couldn’t handle.

So, after 14 miles or so, I arrive in Newport, find Greggs the bakers and get myself a donut…yes, yes, diet and all that but I think I deserved one….and very nice it was too.

I went a slightly different way back on my return heading up and over what seemed to be quite a major climb on the way back to Gnosall. However, strangely it didn’t seem that much of a bother and soon I was descending down to Gnosall at 28mph.

At Gnosall I picked up the disused railway line…. I had to laugh watching two women climb along the farm gate to save themselves from walking through the puddle of cow shit which covers the path at one point. A little further along the path, I saw an eagle (?) carrying away a fully grown rabbit. Luckily for the rabbit, the eagle dropped it so didn’t end up as bird lunch.

Once back in Stafford instead of heading straight back, I decided to try to climb the bank up past the castle and then head down the Westway….well I was trying to make 30 miles but sadly failed by half a mile.

The route: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=18816

Did 29.49 Total 50.45 To do: 229.55

Height climbed: 1090 Total: 1723

Average speed: 11mph

No comments: