Monday 14 September 2009

Jordan

Went on for my first proper ride ever on my new bike "Jordan" yesterday....why Jordan??? Well, according to the current wife, the new bike is curvy and has plastic up front (the forks are carbon). The name seems to suit.

Anyway, up at half six so I can get out before the traffic picks up and out just after 7.30 only to find that there was thick fog on the main road out of town and all way to Penkridge. Sigh. As to the ride...er, this bike isn't that fast. It took me 31 minutes to do the 5.8miles against 21 minutes I did it the other day on the BSO....er?

I suppose it takes a bit of time to get used to a bike: a few things I noticed while out on the ride...

The gears....there are too many! 27 gears means that quite a few gears are only one or two teeth apart so to change to a suitable gear takes quite a few clicks.

The gears pt 2.... disappointingly, they seem to jump quite a bit which really they shouldnt do.

The granny... it might be 30:25 but was still a struggle getting up the hill into Coppenhill. Sigh. I thought it would be easier.

On the plus side...the bike fits me a lot better than the BSO and was a lot more comfortable to ride: I like the handlebars.

The second part of the ride was better than the first, although I did have my first unclipping moment when faced with a car coming towards me on a single track road, I forgot to do so...doh! Luckily I managed to get my right foot out so didnt go over.

Well the new bike didn't turn me into a pro.... I am still a fat bloke on a bike, but this time on a nicer bike. I am sure I will get used to it and it will increase my fitness and speed.

The route: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=19812

Distance: 28.45 Total 139.33 To Do. 140.67

Height: 754 Total 4317

Average speed 11.2mph.

No comments: